Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Goals for my second year

With the school year rapidly approaching, I think its important for me to highlight my goals for the upcoming school year. While I thought that I overall did a good job last year, there are areas that I can improve upon.

I've found that for me, writing down goals has often helped me achieve them and in a timely manner. So I'm adopting that strategy for my teaching goals.

Goal #1:

- Have all of my students earn 3 or better on their End-of-Grade (EoGs) tests.
    - I know that this is a lofty goal but seeing how I only had 8 math retakes (out of 41) gives me the confidence that I can make this happen. I know that I'll need to make better use of test statistics and quickly adjust seating arrangements to maximize groups that work well together.

Goal #2:

- Have students show more proficiency in science through writing reports and other presentations.
     - This goal fits in with the new common core standards of writing and the increase in STEM learning. Since I teach math and science during the same block, I have to make sure that I don't slack on my math (since math is the only one tested in 7th grade).

Goal #3

- Find a way to make it to the NSTA National Conference (s).
      - In my previous post I mentioned that I went to Indianapolis for a national science teachers conference. This year, its in San Antonio and I want to go back. The information I gained and the people I met provided benefits that I'm already using. Really, I want to make my way to Atlanta in November for the regional conference. Its in a place that I know and I'm sure that it'll be cheaper (and thus easier to sell to my admins).

So those are my three main goals. I know that throughout the year I'll develop, find and achieve other goals but these three are the ones I'm going to focus on. Stay tuned!

No comments: