Thursday, September 14, 2006

September 14, 2006- Weekend Recap

Man what a weekend!!! I am just now returning back to “normal” form and a normal routine. Well that and I am just getting better from the stomach flu or something like that.

From college football to the NFL to the US Open, it was a busy weekend in sports. Its weekends like that that make me wish I had picture in picture on my TV. There is a lot for me to talk about so let’s begin.

Starting with the NFL, I stated the even though I wanted to get 75-80% of my game picks correct, I knew my first couple of weeks would be rough. Well I was certainly correct about that. After Week 1, I am 9-7, which is a good starting point, but it shows me I have a lot of work to do. Playing Thursday Morning Quarterback, let’s recap my picks and see where I went wrong or right.

Pittsburgh vs. Miami- I underestimated the Pittsburgh defense and overestimated Daunte Culpepper. A guy makes a comeback from a serious knee injury and I forgot how he played before he got hurt. Well he reminded me and the rest of us with two (2) terrible fourth quarter interceptions. I consider this a lesson learned.

Tampa Bay vs. Baltimore- The surprise of the week. It wasn’t the outcome of the game that shocked me but how the game was won. The Ravens came out and made a statement as their defense didn’t look old at all and Steve McNair looked really familiar with the Ravens offense. A very scary team considering that this was only Week 1.

Denver vs. St. Louis- If Jake Plummer continues to play like he did this past Sunday; the Jay Cutler Watch will start sooner rather than later. St. Louis won this game by doing what I thought Denver would do; run the ball and play good defense.

Tennessee vs. NY Jets- I should have said “The Jets have Chad Pennington”. Did he even have shoulder surgery? He looked great and he carried the Jets to victory.

New England vs. Buffalo- The first game I accurately picked the winner. And even this game was closer than expected. In the end, however New England found a way to win, which is what aspiring championship teams do.

Cincinnati vs. Kansas City- You know what else championship teams do? Win on the road using an efficient offense and hard-nosed defense. That’s exactly what Cincinnati did, holding Larry Johnson to 68 yards rushing. If their defense continues to play like this, the AFC North might become the toughest division in football.

Seattle vs. Detroit- Seattle tried really really really hard to lose this game. Oh, the Lions had something to do with that. The bigger problem, which Seattle attempted to fix with the acquisition of Deion Branch from the New England Patriots, is the offense lacked playmakers on the outside. I called it my “upset watch” game and in that regard I was dead-on.

Carolina vs. Atlanta- I got the basics of this game correct. Atlanta would try to run the ball. What I didn’t expect was that Atlanta would run the ball so effectively and I thought Carolina’s defense would play better. Well I was wrong, Atlanta won and I got another pick wrong.

Philadelphia vs. Houston- The one game I felt completely safe about all weekend. Donovan McNabb looked as if last year never happened, both on and off the field. Donte Stallworth looked very comfortable in the offense. However we shall see how real the Eagles are this week when they face NFC East opponent, the NY Giants.

Cleveland vs. New Orleans- Reggie Bush got twenty-two (22) touches and gained over 100 yards. Deuce McAllister got twenty-two (22) carries and close to 100 yards. Drew Brees looked good. All good signs as the Saints continue to build momentum for their home opener.

Jacksonville vs. Dallas- I got this one half right. TO did show up and had a pretty good game. What I didn’t account for was the stingy Jacksonville defense forcing Drew Bledsoe into three (3) interceptions, which cost Dallas the game. TO said all the right things after the game, but Bill Parcells also said that Tony Romo will get a shot. Now the only questions are when Romo will play and under what circumstances.

Chicago vs. Green Bay- Wow. I wonder what Brett Farve is thinking. You come back for one (1) more season and in your first home game of the year, you are shut out by your fiercest and oldest rival. Guess his preseason statement about this being the most talented (and young) Packers team were a little off, eh?

Arizona vs. San Francisco- Arizona opened their new home in style jumping out to a 21-7 lead before relaxing a bit and making the game score look closer than what it really was.

Indianapolis vs. NY Giants- The referees found a way to impact an Indianapolis game, again. This time a truly bogus offensive Pass Interference call backed the Giants up, and the Colts capitalized by forcing Eli Manning into a game clinching interception. More notable was that the Giants were able to flush Peyton Manning out of the pocket. The downside to that is that Peyton Manning was able to make plays outside of the pocket. Definitely, the most entertaining game of the weekend.

Washington vs. Minnesota- Watching the game, I feel very uneasy about the Redskins. Not only did they lose but their defense cost them the game. Against an average, at best, WR core, the Skins were routinely beat deep down field. This looms as a problem with TO and Terry Glenn waiting this week. The offense was ok, with Clinton Portis showing that he is ready to carry his share, and Santana Moss showed he is still his explosive self. Still worried about the defense though.

San Diego vs. Oakland- The Raiders are in 1st place in the 2007 Brady Quinn Sweepstakes. Enough said.

Well now that I have wrapped up discussion about the NFL, I can move to college football, which also wrapped up a pretty exciting weekend. Notre Dame answered questions about itself, dismantling Penn State and overmatched Quarterback Anthony Morelli. Ohio State put itself in the National Championship’s driver seat by going into Austin, Texas and beating the Longhorns 24-7. Troy Smith made plays when he needed to and Ted Ginn Jr. provided his usual spectacular play. The scariest part was that Ohio State’s defense forced three (3) turnovers and held a Top Three (3) team to only 7 points.

I have to give kudos to the Akron Zips and their head coach, JD Brookhart. Not only did he have the cajoles to go for the win on NC State’s home field, he also handled the classless criticism from NC State’s head coach Chuck Amato with grace and dignity. Coach Brookhart I applaud you.

Lastly, I would like to discuss the results of the final weekend of the US Open. Yes the US Open wrapped up last weekend and if you missed it, then you missed some good tennis. First on Saturday night, Maria Sharapova won her second Grand Slam, beating Justine Henin-Hardenne 6-4, 6-4. Then on Sunday, we (the fans) got the match we wanted to see. Once Andre Agassi was defeated, everyone hoped that Roger Federer and Andy Roddick would meet in the final. Well they did meet and with Tiger Woods in the stands watching, Federer won 6-2, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 for the 11th time in 12th tries. I have started to love the way Federer plays tennis. It’s like he feels the exact moment his opponent is starting to gain momentum and then he comes up with an improbable shot the further deflates his opponent. Quietly I am starting to really admire the hold Federer is tightening on the game of tennis.

Well I feel I have rambled on enough. Enjoy my thoughts on this past weekend and hopefully you will look for my next blog. Until next time, peace.

No comments: