Thursday, September 07, 2006

September 7,2006- First Week NFL Picks

Ahhh, it is finally here, football season that is. The air smells different, the sky looks different. Ok maybe I am exaggerating just a little bit but you get the picture. One thing I want to do this season is really test how good my prognosticator skills are. So I will be doing weekly NFL picks and then comparing myself to those on ESPN, FOX, CBS, etc. I expect to start off slow, as teams begin to define themselves. By the end of year, I want to be getting 75-80% of my picks right. Lofty expectations I know, but I plan to reach them. And so without further adieu, here are my Week 1 NFL picks.

- Pittsburgh vs. Miami- Without Big Ben, I don’t think Pittsburgh has enough firepower to stay with Miami. Though the home crowd will keep them in it, I think Miami will slip by.

- Tampa Bay vs. Baltimore- In a match-up of defenses that could age fast, I think Chris Simms has more experience, in his offense that is, than his counterpart, Steve McNair. So while McNair and the Ravens work out the kinks, Tampa Bay will win this defensive battle.

- Denver vs. St. Louis- Denver will begin their AFC West title defense by running all over St. Louis.

- Tennessee vs. NY Jets- Tennessee has Vince Young. The Jets do not. Is it really that simple? Of course not, but in the end I think Tennessee will win because of more weapons, with one of those weapons being Vince Young.

- New England vs. Buffalo- New England tries to gear up for another Super Bowl run by taking it to Buffalo, a team with QB problems. Actually they have a lot of problems.

- Cincinnati vs. Kansas City- I was tempted to take K.C. because of Larry Johnson, then I remembered that the Chiefs still cant tackle anyone and the Bengals have a lot more firepower so in a shoot-out give me the team with the most bullets. In this case that’s Cincinnati.

- Seattle vs. Detroit- The upset watch game. Detroit has a new coach who is cleaning house. The Seahawks are still smarting over their Super Bowl loss. It wouldn’t shock me that Detroit would come out inspired, while Seattle could play flat as a board. Although it wouldn’t shock me, I don’t think it will happen. Too many old Detroit players still around and Seattle wins.

- Carolina vs. Atlanta- Right out of the gate, the NFC South will begin to bang each other around. Carolina has always played Michael Vick tough. This year Vick begins the season with a banged up receiving core, so look for the Falcons to run more than they already do. Carolina has injury problems of its own as star receiver Steve Smith is questionable with a hamstring injury. At home I think Delhomme and the Panthers find a way to get it done.

- Philadelphia vs. Houston- I so want to go against the Eagles. I think they have helped to keep this TO fiasco alive and for an organization the “does things the right way” supposedly, I found that upsetting. However, one team that upset me more was the Houston Texans. They passed on Reggie Bush, saying they had Dominick Davis. Well now Dominick Davis is hurt and Reggie Bush looks like the perfect back to fit in with the zone blocking scheme of new coach Gary Kubiak. And I’m not sold on Mario Williams. He didn’t make enough plays in college when he had 3 other first round picks playing with him to occupy blockers and give him one-on-one opportunities. Only time will tell though. Philly wins because of McNabb. He is ready to dispel any thought that he needs TO. He’ll do it this week, as for the rest of the season, time will tell.

- Cleveland vs. New Orleans- Well before preseason this looked like a good game. Year 2 for Cleveland under Romeo Crennel was going well as the coach brought in veteran leaders such as Willie McGinest and LeCharles Bentley. Then the preseason began and fate reminded them why they are the Browns. Injuries cost the Browns their top 3 centers, and now they have reworked their line, again. New Orleans on the other hand gained more enthusiasm from the preseason with new QB Drew Brees showing no signs of lingering injury from his shoulder surgery, and Reggie Bush looking like he should have been the #1 pick the draft. I think the good trend continues for New Orleans and they gain more momentum for their home opener, September 25.

- Jacksonville vs. Dallas- Lets see. You have a receiver who loves the big stage. His first game with a new team is going to be nationally televised. Is anyone else seeing a big game from TO? Well, I am and I think he delivers a win in Week 1. I’m not sold on the Jaguars receiving core yet and I don’t think they have the secondary to stop TO all game. Dallas wins.

- Chicago vs. Green Bay- I know this is a rivalry game but if Chicago had some offensive this game wouldn’t even be close. However, Chicago’s offense can be sometimes offensive to watch, and they’ll make the game closer than it needs to be but in the end, the defense wont let them lose to Green Bay.

- Arizona vs. San Francisco- Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of the Arizona Cardinals. Yes the offense and defense was ranked in the Top 10 and I know they signed E. James this off-season. But I cant be completely sold on Kurt Warner anymore. One thing I will not be sold on is that San Francisco won’t be drafting first next year, because they will. Arizona starts them on that path.

- Indianapolis vs. NY Giants- Brotherly rivalry. Anyone with brothers knows that this game is eating away at both of them. They both want to win; actually they both need to win. Neither Manning brother finished the season in a manner that they liked, and this first game is their chance to show their team, their fans, and themselves that last year was last year. The game is played outside, so that helps Eli. But its still big brother Peyton and that offense. I think the Colts have fixed the line problems that Pittsburgh exposed, and their offense looks as if they never missed a beat. Colts win.

- Washington vs. Minnesota- I really hope the Redskins were only using 2% of their playbook in the preseason because they looked flat out awful. And then even if they showed no schemes or anything, their performance told me that one-on-one their players have trouble beating the other players. Maybe I’m reading into it a little too much but that is the vibe I get. Well the preseason is done and if Clinton Portis’s shoulder is healed, the Redskins win. Reports in DC say that it is, so they’re my pick. Redskins win.

- San Diego vs. Oakland- Two teams breaking in new QBs. They will lean on the running game until they feel comfortable. In that case, give me the team with the better running back. That’s San Diego with L.T. They’ll win and give Philip Rivers some confidence.

So there are my picks (bolded). Let’s watch together and see how I do. Until next time, peace.

No comments: