Wednesday, September 06, 2006

September 6,2006- Farewell Andre

As we have now reached the final day before the NFL season starts, I would like to take the opportunity to bid a sad farewell to Andre Agassi.

Agassi lost on Sunday to Benjamin Becker in 4 sets to officially mark the end of a radiant career. Being an 80’s baby with a father who played collegiate tennis, I’ve always had an interest in tennis. Though I never was able to turn this interest into any success on the tennis court, I’ve always followed the sport as a fan.

I watched Agassi’s whole career for the most part, and what I have always admired about Agassi is the way he played the game he loved. I’ve always noticed that Agassi has always looked like he wanted to be out there. I’m definitely not saying that other players show lack of effort, but for me Agassi was able to radiate a love for the game that shone through the television. Though he transitioned from ATP Tour rebel to the Tour’s elder statesman, he always maintained that passion for the game.

I remember reading an article about Agassi in Sports Illustrated awhile back, and the article just made me appreciate Agassi more. It brought to light, for those who didn’t know, his past and even then I saw how much passion he had for the game. Even during his low career points, it was tennis that brought him back. I have never seen an Agassi match where he looked disinterested. Maybe I have been lucky enough to miss those matches, if they exist, but even in defeat he looks at home on the tennis court.

Now Agassi’s departure leaves a void in American male tennis. Yes we still have top notch talent, but these players (James Blake, Andy Roddick, and Justin Gimelstob, among others) lack the overall charisma to individually sustain the interest of the American people.

So here I am giving my farewell to one player who made me want to pursue tennis. His career was an absolute joy to watch; even his final match was fun to watch. I for sure will miss his play.


Thank you Andre Agassi, I’m sure success will continue to follow you in whatever arena of life you choose to enter.

1 comment:

SuperServe said...

I totally agree, Agassi played with so much emotion during the entire match, not just at the end if he won or lost. If you want to relive some of Agassi's classic moments, the tennis channel has been playing a bunch of old matches and are going to have a feature doc on like Sept. 8th or 9th. they have a bunch of Agassi stuff on their website too. they have some good stuff for the US Open too.