Tuesday, March 11, 2008

March Madness Creeping Closer

We're approaching the half-way point of March, and the college basketball conference tournaments are beginning to fill spots in the Big Dance. Already there have been some upsets that will bring the mid-major vs. big conference debate again. VCU and St. Mary's are two teams who I know will be hoping that some big time schools don't make extended conference tournament runs.

The number #1 seeds in the tournament are far from being decided but the schools I hear the most are: UCLA, Memphis, Texas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kansas and Duke. Going into the conference tournaments, my number #1 seeds would be North Carolina, Memphis, Texas and UCLA. I really don't want to put UCLA there, but at this point I have no choice.

This isn't a West Coast bias thing. I have seen a couple of UCLA games, and more importantly their finishes. UCLA has gotten the better end of several calls that decided their a couple of their games recently. The call in their game against Stanford decided the game (props to the Bruins for coming back from a 12-point deficit to make the game close), and the call against Arizona State set the stage for Josh Shipp's miracle shot.

Texas earns my nod over Tennessee because they beat Tennessee, and they have the nod over UCLA if it comes to that.

But the conference tournaments will clear the picture up. Oh I can't wait.

No comments: